Raptr Forums > Announcements > Site/Client Updates

History of PSN Tracking

Old 23 Oct 09
Boxhead
Supreme Raptr
History of PSN Tracking
In October of last year we launched our PSN trophy tracking feature - after a few months Sony stopped us. Recently, we've brought back trophies in a recent update for all to enjoy. I just wanted to keep this thread here so people can understand the history of PSN tracking on Raptr

Two months ago, Sony opened up public profiles and trophies on their website. Within 24 hours, Raptr became the first service to support automatic trophy updates for our members. We were happy to finally be able to provide some automated services for our PS3 users and also rolled out a bunch of trophy related features including friend rankings and trophy comparisons.

However in the past several weeks, we have been having trouble getting trophy data from Sony in a reliable fashion. Unfortunately, Sony has made it clear that they do not wish to share their trophy data with other sites at this time. As a result, we've decided to turn off tracking of their trophies. Our goal is to always provide a reliable service that you can count on, so please accept our apologies for any frustration this may have caused you due to trophies not updating in a timely manner.

We’ll continue to keep our eyes and ears open for when Sony might once again share their data with services like Raptr, but in the meanwhile, we will be taking out all PSN trophies from our site. We expect all of them to be removed within the next few weeks.

PSN cards will still remain in everyone’s Raptr profiles, and those profiles will link to your corresponding page on PSN. We hope everyone enjoyed the feature while it lasted, and we hope that Sony decides to be more open with their data at some point in the future. Raptr will continue to have all PS3 games cataloged on our site so that you can easily add them to your library, track your PS3 gaming activity manually, and let your friends know what PS3 games you like and play. And of course, we will continue to automatically track your Xbox and PC games presence as well as automatically track your Xbox, Steam, and WoW achievements.

Old 23 Oct 09
huph
Tiny Dino
Hello,

That is certainly sad to hear but I completely understand. Also, this will help bury the "x number" of threads on this particular topic and limit the complaining you need to hear. You are all doing an excellent job here and I am loving watching this site grow.

Keep up the good work.

Take Care,
Steve

Old 23 Oct 09
LuckyLuxy
Tiny Dino
Thanks for the update Boxhead.
It is EXTREMELY disappointing that Sony are not being open with their trophy data. Why? For what reason could they possibly need to keep something as simple as trophy and gameplay data secret? Microsoft set the precedent with allowing gameplay data to sites like Raptr and it has done them absolutely no harm, so god knows why Sony have taken the opposite view, ESPECIALLY as many gamers have asked them to open up all their trophy and game data. I have sent them numerous emails and left posts on their forums asking for this and I know a LOT of other gamers have done exactly the same. It is my data and if I want it shared with sites like Raptr and Gamerdna, it should be up to me, just like it is for Xbox 360 users. Why don't they just allow it seeing as we, the paying public want it!!! It is crazy. Maybe if someone from Sony requested it, it might happen, but if that is the case, it is terrible customer service, doesn't our opinion count, seeing as we are the ones BUYING the PS3!!!
I was really excited when Raptr were the first to support PSN integration and it is what brought me back to Raptr after a long time away. But, I know through reading posts on this forum that Raptr have done all they can and I appreciate it very much. I will continue to use Raptr now and support them. I just sincerely hope Sony see sense VERY SOON and allow this simple thing that most PS3 gamers want. When I had an Xbox 360, I took this sort of thing for granted, as you do, but now I have a PS3, I am very envious of 360 users that ALL their gameplay datails so freely available, as I would love an online record of my gameplay that Raptr provides.
Oh well, rant over, thanks Boxhead and thanks Raptr for all your hard work and honesty, I greatly appreciate it.
Keep up the great work.

Regards,

Spencer
Raptr name : LuckyLuxy
PSN ID : LuckyLuxy

Old 23 Oct 09
DJBPace07
Young Adult Raptr
It's disappointing that this happened, PS3 tracking was awesome while it lasted. Sony really is shooting themselves in the foot with this. On the bright side, if Sony does decide to reopen their data, Raptr already has most of the PS3 implementation in place so it shouldn't take them long to get it up and running.

Old 23 Oct 09
huph
Tiny Dino
Sony will eventually open up; just like with everything else they do with their system, Sony just continues to drag its feet.

Old 23 Oct 09
LuckyLuxy
Tiny Dino
Let's hope they don't drag their feet for too long! They have not got any good excuse for not opening up right now!

Old 23 Oct 09
DJBPace07
Young Adult Raptr
Knowing Sony, they would probably release trophy data when the PS3 reaches its EOL.

Old 23 Oct 09
Boxhead
Supreme Raptr
So I was having a conversation with someone (I forgot who) but I think they won't. Their head is big right now because of the PS3 slim's success. Get with it!

Old 23 Oct 09
SvennEthir
Tiny Dino
Everyone go tell Sony that you want this!

See here: http://raptr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1192

Old 24 Oct 09
D5120
Tiny Dino
How about we provide you (Raptr) with our log in details ? That way you can get everything you need ?

Currently (through your client), you have my msn username/password (which is linked to you Xbox live account), you have my Gtalk username/password (which is linked with my google checkout account), so surely if I already trust you this much, I'd be happy to give you my PSN password (as you already have my username), so you can pull all the data through ?

Granted some people may not want to do this, but give them the option ? If you make a disclaimer of "These details will be uses for tracking reasons only"....should be alright ?

Anyway, just a thought